Good skin is the reflection of healthy body. Of all the vital organs, skin is the largest one. This outer layer is protective barrier of underneath cells.
To keep it healthy and glowing, make sure you treat it well. Following proper skin care regime in your daily routine is must. In addition, you also need to choose the quality products for this sensitive organ.
Of all the skin-care products, most important is sunscreen. Make sure it is broad spectrum and absorbs easily. It is the only shield that prevents premature aging from sun damage and skin cancer.
All types of skin tones benefit from this layer of sun protection. Applying it to exposed skin keeps your skin perfectly protected and it looks younger too.
Nowadays, market is flooded with many sunscreen brands. Choosing the best for your skin type is bit tricky. If you do an online search for the best sunscreens, you will find that there are many products to choose from.
Just check out what should you look for in the best sunscreen cream? What are the best sunscreens in India? Making an informed decision can help you to opt for a right choice.
To make it easier for you to choose the quality products, we’ve analyzed few products that suit your needs and listed them accordingly.
Top 10 Best Sunscreens in India
|Model Name||Form||SPF||Check Price|
| Lakme Sun Expert SPF 24 PA
| Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-in-1 Matte||Cream||40, PA+++|
| Nivea Sun Moisturising Lotion SPF 30 75ml
|VLCC Radiance Pro SPF 30 Sun Screen Gel, 50g||Gel||30, PA +++|
|Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch||Cream||50, PA+++|
|Kaya Skin Clinic Youth Protect||Gel||50, PA+|
|Garnier Sun Control daily moisturizer with SPF 15||Lotion||15|
|L’Oreal Paris UV perfect Advanced||Lotion||50, PA++++|
| O3+ MATTIFYING GEL CREAM SPF 50||Cream||50, PA+|
The Lakme Sun Expert SPF 24 is one of the best sunscreen lotions in India. It provides you the guaranteed protection from upto 97% harmful sunrays.
You get the complete all round care and protection that your skin needs. The creamy lotion is non-sticky and perfect lightweight formula for the hot and humid weather.
Also, it is dermatologically tested and is perfect for all types of skin. Smooth creamy texture spreads and absorbs easily after few seconds of application.
The mild smell and consistent lotion keeps you fresh and moisturised all day long.
- Broad spectrum sunscreen formulation contains antioxidants, lemongrass, cucumber extracts and Vitamin B3 which prevent darkening, premature ageing and pigmentation.
- Shields Skin Against UVA and UVB Rays
- Provides your skin with the required moisturisation, reduces dark spots and makes it glow
- Lightens skin tone and cools your skin
- Good for all skin types
- Prevents upto 97% harmful sunrays
- Mix easily onto skin
- Moisturizes skin
- Blocks tanning
- Gives instant glow
- Convenient Packaging
- Bit Expensive
- Takes time to get absorbed
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-in-1 Matte Look Daily Sunblock is perfect sun protection formulation.
It combines broad-spectrum UV protection and protects your skin from the harmful UV rays.
The non-greasy formula gets quickly absorbed and provides soothing and firming effect on your skin.
This sunblock is tinted and has exquisite aroma. The composition is delicate and smooth with consistency.
Good for your delicate skin as it is light, non oily recipe. Makes your skin even and smooth fixing all imperfections in quick time.
- Combination of tinted moisturizer, sun block and skin lightener
- Gives uniform matte finish to your skin
- Fast absorption and non-greasy formula ensures shine-free, light and clean feel
- Non-greasy formula, reduces oiliness & refines pores
- SPF 40 protects skin from the harmful UV sunrays and prevents tanning
- Rejuvenating, reduces skin oiliness and refines skin pores
- Soothing and anti-inflammatory
- Astringent properties
- Good for oily skin
- Mild smell, Keeps you fresh all day long
- Non tinted product
- Bit pricey and tough packaging
Nivea Sun Moisturising Lotion SPF 30 provides advanced collagen protection that prevents wrinkles.
It is light, non-sticky formula and provides good hydration to skin and SPF 30 protects the skin from harmful sun rays.
Vitamin E present in it protects your skin from dehydration and help reduce the loss of skin elasticity during sun exposure.
Thus, it restores the moisture of skin which is lost due to sun exposure.
The Broad spectrum UVA and UVB filters reinforce natural UV that help protect the health of the skin.
- Water resistant quick absorption formula provides advanced collagen protection that prevents wrinkles.
- Perfect consistency
- Sweet floral fragrance
- Gets absorbed easily
- Offers instant protection from harmful UV rays
- It is non-oily, non-greasy and water resistant
- Advance collagen that help prevent wrinkles caused by frequent sun exposure
- Good for daily use
- Bit Costly
- Does not absorb easily
- Contains Alcohol and parabens
Biotique Bio Morning Nectar 30+ SPF Ultra Soothing Face Lotion is slightly thick off white in color with very strong floral scent.
It comes out with good consistency and gets spread easily over the skin. It is one the best sun protection creams in India.
The lotion is greasy and suitable for dry skin. It hydrates the skin well but it feels heavy too.
You get smooth skin texture and it protects against free radicals and pollution as well.
The hydrating lotion nourishes and brighten your skin tone.
- Nourishing and brightening lotion is blended with Pure Honey, Wheatgerm and Seaweed
- Softens and brightens skin for a noticeably fairer complexion
- Protects skin with SPF 30 UVA / UVB sunscreen
- Biotique Bio Morning Nectar Ultra soothing face lotion has moisturizing and soothing properties
- It features natural ingredients that are safe for the skin
- Cost effective for the quantity it offers
- Hydrate and Nourishes skin
- Gives Fair complexion
- Restore lost moisture
- Organically pure
- Gives Oily appearance
- Strong scent
VLCC Radiance Pro SPF 30 Sun Screen Gel offers broad spectrum protection from UV rays.
It is a Parabeen free formulation gives healthy glow to the skin. It is one of the best sunscreen for Indian skin.
It delivers a powerful de-tanning action and reveals brighter skin tone making your skin look radiant & moisturised.
It helps fade the dark patches of the skin and makes it flawless
- Gets absorbed quickly
- Gives matte finish
- Provides broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Paraben free formulation good for all skin types
- Soothing smell
- Makes skin soft and supple
- Gives a radiant glow
- Keeps skin hydrated
- Not Good for long term sun exposure
- Tough packaging
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock is a dermatologist-tested formula that provides best UV protection.
It’s oil control properties and other features make your skin look fresh and radiant all day long. Stabilized with helioplex technology makes it perfect sunblock.
It offers balanced broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays. Light on your skin and good for sensitive skin.
- Stabilized with HelioplexTM technology and provide balanced broad-spectrum protection against UV rays
- Water resistant
- Absorbs instantly
- Gives Non-Shiny Finish
- SPF 50+ prevents sunburn
- Makes skin soft and smooth
- Suitable for all skin types
- Oil-free, Water resistant
- Dermatologist tested, Non-comedogenic
- Mild and pleasant fragrance
- Bit costly
- Not very moisturizing
Kaya Skin Clinic Youth Protect Sunscreen is a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects your skin against premature ageing.
A sweat and water proof non-greasy formula that protects your skin for long time.
It protects your skin from harmful rays of sun and prevents premature ageing. It works best during long hours of sun exposure.
- Broad Spectrum Sunscreen that protects the skin against premature ageing
- Light-weight, has a non-greasy formula and is PABA free
- Gives Highest Possible Protection
- Suitable for combination, dry, normal & oily skin
- Absorbs easily
- Light on skin and non sticky
- Good packaging
- Most expensive sunscreen
- Pleasing smell
It is a perfect sunscreen formulated with Mexoryl SX with Vitamin E and Glycerol & Extracts of Corriander that moisturizes your skin and protects from UV rays.
It is a unique blend of sunscreen and moisturizer good for daily use. It is best sunscreen lotion for body.
You can get the daily moisturisation from it and also the protection from UVA & UVB rays which prevent skin darkening and premature ageing.
- Moisturizes your skin and protects from UVA and UVB rays
- Vitamin E present in it protect against free radicals and help delay the signs of ageing
- Glycerol and coriander extract retain the skin’s moisture and prevent it from drying
- Small quantity gives good results
- Moisturises skin very well
- Gives matte finish
- Spreads easily
- Suits all skin types
- Non greasy
- Low SPF, not reliable for long term protection
- Takes time to absorb
- Not suitable for oily skin
L’Oreal Paris UV perfect gives a long lasting optimal protection. Provides optimal UVB and reinforced UVA protection.
Also, protects skin against free radicals and pollutants. It is one of the best sunscreens in India.
Gives a long lasting optimal protection in a new icy moisturizing texture and can be used in daily skin care routine.
It can also be used as a daily moisturizing make up base.
- Provides optimal UVB and reinforced UVA protection
- Anti-Oxidant complex + Activa cells protect against free radicals
- Detoxyl in it protects skin against free radicals and pollutants
- SPF 50 protects skin against UVA, UVB
- Vitamin E present in it protect against free radicals
- Delay the signs of ageing
- Retain the skin’s moisture and prevent it from drying
- Protects skin against free radicals and pollutants
- Non greasy/non sticky texture
- High SPF
- All ingredients not listed
O3+ Mattifying light gel cream SPF 50 controls excess shine, brightens skin and provide sun protection.
It is a light gel base formula that instantly provides sun protection.
Gives the matte feel to the skin with light skin tone.
- Non sticky whitening formula
- Good for oily skin
- Gets absorbed easily
- Makes skin glow
- Prevents Sun Tan
- Suitable for normal to oily skin
- Non Greasy
- Easy to absorb
- Makes skin fair
- Reduces oil
- Prevents acne
- Gives whitish cast
- Makes skin oily
- No matte effect as claimed
Sunscreen Buying Guide (India)
Why Skin Care and Protection is so important?
The better you treat your skin, the less likely you experience disorders. Protecting it is not only important for your appearance but health as well. You can keep it look fresh and great by guarding against skin woes.
Complete Skin Care Routine To Keep You Refreshed
To get great results, you should follow a healthy skin care regimen. It includes :
Before listing out the best sunscreen lotions,we want to let you know more about the sunscreen.
- checkCleansing skin properly using a natural skin cleanser.
- checkHydrate it after the bath to keep it healthy, attractive, and youthful. You can apply lotions or creams to moisturize it.
- checkProtect from damaging UV rays that lead to wrinkles and uneven skin tone.
Few basic tips that help you maintain the beauty of skin and its overall health.
- checkUse Sunscreen as you step outdoor :- Too much of everything is bad. It applies to your skin as well. Excessive exposure to the sun’s UV radiation can cause skin damage and even skin cancer. Make sure you apply sunblock lotion with a good SPF.
- checkPick a good moisturizer :- Choose a moisturizer that’s right for you skin type. Check out the ingredients that won’t cause allergic reactions. Try to use lotions that make your skin feel smooth and refreshed.
- checkEat Healthy to Nourish Your Skin :- Good diet effects your health and appearance of skin. To improve the quality of skin you can cut out refined sugars, processed ingredients etc. You can have fresh fruits, vegetables and dairy products.
- checkStay Well Hydrated EverydayWater is essential for body. With proper hydration you can actually prevent the formation of lines and wrinkles.
Taking care of skin not only keeps wrinkles, lines and dry skin at bay. Also, it helps you prevent serious health problems, such as skin cancer. You can protect yourself from the effects of visible aging by keeping your skin safe from the sun.
Thus, sunscreen is very important when it comes to skin care. These act as a protective shield for your skin and prevent from the harmful UV rays of sun.
What is Sunscreen and why it is essential for skin?
Sunscreen is a lotion or gel that absorbs sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation and protects against sunburn. Using sunblock prevents the development of wrinkles and sagging skin.
Every sunscreen is rated and labeled with a SPF or sun protection factor. It gives the measure of the fraction of UV rays that reach the skin causing sunburn.
Skincare product like sunscreen acts as a thin bulletproof layer that stops the UV photons and prevent the damage. It contains molecules that absorb UV and other pigments and reflect UV.
Moreover, the effectiveness depends on the quantity of protective agents present in it. There are two main parts of sunscreen: Active ingredients and the emulsion.
Sunscreens contain one or more active ingredients which are either chemical or mineral in nature. These active ingredients are aromatic molecules do the sun protection work.
It absorbs the UV rays and release the energy and thus prevents the skin-damaging ultraviolet rays from reaching the skin.
The combination of oil and water which has active ingredients in it. It is in the form of lotion, milk, cream, oil, foam or gel. It preserve the product for long and help with binding to skin, water resistance etc.
Importance of using sunscreen
Sunscreen provides the best defense against skin damage cause by sun exposure. In fact, everyone should have a good facial sunscreen in their skincare collection.
No matter whatever the weather make sure you apply it daily. Good sunscreen of moderate SPF can help protect your face from harmful rays. It can slow or prevent the wrinkles and sagging skin.
It’s usage can help prevent melanoma and carcinoma. All you need high quality sunscreen lotion and cream to get the best protection in maintaining healthy skin.
Always buy a top sunscreen in India that suites your skin type. The intensity of sunscreen depends on the nature of your skin. Different variants of SPF prevent the skin damage from UV rays.
Mostly the recommended SPF for the skin is 30 as it works efficiently on the skin. Check out your skin type and accordingly choose the SPF of sunscreen. If your skin is sensitive, make sure you buy natural one to avoid allergic reactions.
What are the types of sunscreens?
There are two types of sunscreen: physical and chemical.
- 1Physical sunscreen :- It act as a shield and block the sun’s rays. It contain ingredients such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
- 2Chemical sunscreen :- It contain ingredients such as avobenzone and benzophenone and absorb the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays. Physical sunscreens are a good choice for people with allergies to chemical sunscreens.
What is SPF or Sunscreen Rating?
SPF or Sun protection factor is the measure capacity of a sunscreen to block UVB radiation. It gives measure of a sunscreen’s ability to prevent UVB from damaging the skin.Higher the SPF the fewer photons producing the sunburn will strike the skin.
How to Choose SPF in Sunscreen?
You can choose SPF according to your skin type. SPF 30 offer more protection than SPF15. If your skin type is normal, you can use SPF 30 Sunscreen.
For dry skin type, a sunscreen with a moisturizer is advisable. If your skin is oily, you can use an SPF 50 Sunscreen. Moreover, you can also customize your options by choosing Spf 20, 25, etc. and use these options.
Which SPF is the best?
Sunscreens with a higher SPF provide more protection against skin damage. No sunscreen can block all UV rays, SPF 15 blocks 93%, SPF 30 blocks 97% and SPF 50 blocks 98% of UV rays.
Since higher SPF offers more protection but there are also many downsides associated with it. Though it can block UVB at its maximum leaving UVA protection.
Similarly, UVA protection is also important as it accelerates ageing and can cause skin cancer. Therefore, SPFs not less than 30 and higher than 50 is safe and enough for most people and skin types.
How much sunscreen should you apply and how often?
The quantity to apply sunscreen varies and depends on few factors:
- SPF (Gives the basic estimate for how often you should reapply your sunscreen)
- Duration or time spent in the sun
- Humidity, sweating and contact with water.
However, if you’re planning on doing any strenuous activity, you’ll need to reapply it much often. For best results, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours and even more depending on your requirement.
How to choose the Best sunscreen in India?
- checkCheck for the manufacture date: The fresher the product, the better the efficacy. It hold true for sunscreen as well. Try to check the date before buying as it gives more effective results.
- checkReputed Brand: Brand is the most important thing while choosing skin care product like sunscreen. The best brands always make the quality products which are safe to use. So,go for good brand for quality products.
- checkShould Not Contain Toxic Chemicals: Look out for the ingredients titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These are harmful for the skin. Make sure it does not contain these toxic chemicals as it causes allergic reactions too.
- checkGo For Moderate SPF: Always check the SPF and ensure you choose not too higher or lower range. If you want best protection you can choose SPF 30 above.
- checkWater Resistant: You can choose sweat or water resistant sunscreen while going for walk or beach.
- checkBroad Spectrum Protection: Always choose a sunscreen with “broad spectrum” protection. These protect against UV rays which are the main cause of sunburn and skin cancers. Avoid sunscreens with Vitamin A as can trigger the growth of tumors.